1999 Aggie Football Schedule
Great Football Games
Requiem to the 1998 Season
Okay, so the Aggies were not #1 in the country at the end of the season. But then, they were not expected to be in the top 10 or the Big 12 champs, either.
Contrary to expectations, the Aggies went to the Sugar Bowl. Among their other accomplishments:
- The Aggies played 4 teams ranked in the top five, and beat 2 of them.
- They played 8 teams that went to bowls, and beat 5 of them.
- They were outscored by arch-rival t.u. 26-24. But t.u. had Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams. More than that, the home field advantage at Memorial Stadium in Austin is surely worth more than 2 measly points, wouldn't you say? A&M very nearly came back to win, had their final field goal been successful.
- They were outscored by Ohio State -- but OSU was a contender for No. 1. OSU, however, was unable to "blow out" the Aggies as they intended, in order to establish more credibility in the polls. Instead, the Aggies shut down the Buckeyes for 3 quarters, and were gaining on them when time ran out.
- The only other loss this year was to Florida State.
- Arguably, the Aggies knocked 3 teams out of No. 1: Nebraska, Kansas State, and Ohio State.
- Aggie All-American Dat Nguyen won the Lombardi Award and other honors as the nation's top defenseman.
- "Playing the most difficult schedule in school history, A&M refused to roll over" -- Jerome Solomon, Houston Chronicle, 1/3/99, 6B.
- "The Aggies' offense may have been one of the worst in the country, but it was good enough to win 11 games." -- Solomon
- "A&M's three losses came to Florida State, which plays for the national championship Monday in the Fiesta Bowl; Texas which had the nation's best player in Ricky Williams; and Ohio State, which was ranked No. 1 longer than any other team this season." -- Solomon
- "We showed a lot of character all year. This was a team that never gave up." -- Rich Coady, safety.
- "Four times this season, the Aggies were double-digit underdogs. Not only did they not lose any of those games by more than 10 points, they won two of them and had the opportunity to win the others." -- Solomon
- "Any time you end a season with a loss, it's disappointing. But to do what we did without a dominant player on either side of the ball shows what a special group this is." -- R. C. Slocum, Coach
|1999 Aggie Football Schedule|
|Sept. 4||Louisiana Tech||7:00 pm|
|Sept. 18||Tulsa||*||7:30 pm|
|Sept. 25||S. Mississippi||*||7:30 pm|
|Oct. 2||Texas Tech||*||6:00 pm|
|Oct. 9||Baylor||*||*||1:00 pm|
|Oct. 16||Kansas||*||*||1:00 pm|
|Oct. 23||Oklahoma||*||2:00 pm|
|Oct. 30||Oklahoma St.||*||*||1:00 pm|
|Nov. 13||Missouri||*||1:00 pm|
|Nov. 26||t.u.||*||*||10:00 am|
|Dec. 4||Big 12 Championship||*||TBA|
|Back to AggieWebLand|