Fiero Restoration Project

 


Fieros on St. Joseph Island

 

bridge.jpg (77754 bytes)

Since my first Fiero I bought in 1998, I guess they have really started to grow on me.  There are now 4 in the family.   My son is busy restoring his '85 coupe and I am deep into my Artero project.  We'll keep you posted.

 

CLICK to see St. Joseph Island

 

 

The Car

I always wanted to build a kit car and decided a Fiero would be a good place to start. I managed to find a 2M4 that had been owned by an excellent mechanic for his family to use. It had new brakes, engine, clutch, clutch cylinder, transmission, and shocks. It easily passed its safety certificate. However, it had been repainted (poorly) and many of the panels both inside and out showed a lot of wear.

Stripping

stripped.jpg (15375 bytes)

CLICK    to see rusted frame

I stripped the body to see what was underneath. I found some rust but nothing that would affect the structure. I sandblasted to remove and stabilize the rust, painted, undercoated, and used Rust Check on the frame.

Wiring and Interior

wiring.jpg (16541 bytes)

 CLICK to see power window install

Since I wanted some amenities, like power windows etc., I did a lot of rewiring. The dash was removed and repaired, the carpets pulled and cleaned, and the headliner replaced. Fortunately, all the parts I needed came from another Fiero I was able to strip.

Painting

paint.jpg (11605 bytes)

CLICK  to see painting instructions

I elected to paint the panels off the car since a lot of them were different colours. I used a high solid primer first to help hide imperfections. The fascia tears were particularly had to repair and it took several tries. The luggage rack was removed, the holes filled and a wing added. I had plastic sheets around the garage and a large fan to exhaust the paint fumes. Even still, it made a real mess. I first started with Dupont Centari but I didn't like it, so I ended up with a basecoat/clearcoat finish.

Assembly

assemble.jpg (19476 bytes)

CLICK  for assembly hints

Putting the panels together was a challenge. I found the fasteners difficult to get. Instead of the large rivets, I used galvanized, collapsible wall anchors. This will enable me to easily unscrew any panel. GM radiator shroud connectors are great substitutes for plastic rivets. The rims were from a Plymouth Laser. I stripped, sanded, painted, and clearcoated them to match the car.

Interior

interior.jpg (14527 bytes)

CLICK to see more interior shots

I have always liked leather and had a local upholstery shop recover the seats. The dash cracks and tears were repaired so well I can't remember where the damage was! Some of the door panels were a little warped, so I used some thin aluminum to reinforce them. Crazy Glue did a great job of sticking down the vinyl on the console.

Finished!

done.jpg (283994 bytes)

CLICK to see more pictures.

Here it is. My first try! I want to thank the many people that provided advice. Fieros are so rare up in my area, that I had no others to use as examples. I really appreciated the Michigan Fiero site for providing such clear instructions and great ideas. I really couldn't have done the project without the Fiero List , the Fiero-TechNet and the kind people who have responded to my questions. Thanks again!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Accident!

The unthinkable happened! I was returning from the Michigan Fierofest when I hit a deer just south of the Mackinaw Bridge.

CLICK to see the damage and the resurrection

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

John Good

Richards Landing, ON

2749@sympatico.ca

You are the
according to the below Ethiopic Web Counter

 



[ back ] [ Next ]
This Pontiac Fiero WebRing site is owned by John Good
[
Next Page | Skip Next | List Next 5 | Random Link ]
Questions or comments, email the creator at: ufoinmi@aol.com


Hosting by WebRing.